Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Two steps forward, one step back.

I am 100% sure that Jack just had his first seizure. Here's what happened:
5:51am-6:06am Wednesday, May 12th, 2010
We're all sleeping. Jack wakes me up from his room screaming in a way I've never heard. He would scream at the top of his lungs, almost to where his voice was breaking up, and then stop. Scream and then stop. I ran into his bedroom. His entire body (not really including his head) would jerk all at one time, he'd scream that blood curling scream, and then it was quiet. When he screamed his eyes were open, he was looking around left and right, head turning, rubbing his eyes, but wouldn't look at me. I changed his diaper. Legs limp. During all of this (the jerks were occurring in 10-20 second intervals-Jack would scream for about 5 seconds after the jerk occurred, then silence, then a jerk again, followed by screams), I tried to get his attention, rub his body, touch his cheek. . .nothing. I picked him up, wondering if that would help and stop the jerks. Didn't help. He continued to jerk and scream in my arms. Not a jerk where I have trouble holding him, but enough where I want to hold him tight. I couldn't get him out of it. Around the 8 minute mark he lay his head on my cheek, as if it was "oh, mom. you're here". and then he jerked again, scream, "oh, mom. you're here". Once I had his attention I was able to lay him back in his crib. He continued to have some jerks and screams, but they weren't as often and weren't as bad. He's now resting. Seems like he could go back to sleep. He's rolled over to his side, which is a good sign that he's back to himself. I did have to change his diaper again once it was over. (I felt so helpless. I couldn't do anything to help him, but hold him and comfort him. I don't even know if he knew I was there).

I've already left a message for the pediatrician.
Two steps forward, once step back. . .

No comments: