Thursday, May 20, 2010

I still don't like her!

Do you remember when I told you that I didn't like the endocrinologist, but I would give her another try until we got in to the endocrinologist at St. Louis Children's Hospital?

I still don't like her.

We had the follow-up appointment for the Insulin-like Growth Factor test, the one where the result was the lowest possible, and then non-existent after the second test.
Long story short: I don't like her. She made me feel guilty that she had to work for two hours to figure out the needed nutrition for Jack. She also made it clear that Jack's syndrome is rare, none of her colleagues had ever heard of it, she had to print up a research article from 1996, she's never worked with a child with a feeding tube and on continuous feed, and the list goes on and on and on. . .

We have the option to have the next test performed, a Growth Hormone Stimulation Test. This is a test where Jack fasts for a set number of hours, and then he's injected with a solution of insulin or arginine, Through the IV, blood samples are then drawn at 30, 60, and 90 minutes.This is to see if the pituitary gland was stimulated by the insulin (or arginine) to produce expected levels of GH.

What I'm curious about is the arginine. . .Jack's mutations is BRAF with an amino acid switch of Arginine and Glutamine. . . He's already deficient! Anywho. . .I'm going to wait until we see the endocrinologist at St. Louis Children's Hospital. The one from Wednesday was rude to me, once again, made me to believe that I'm pushy with the doctors, that St. John's Children's Hospital is just as good as St. Louis Children's Hospital, etc. . . . .I understand that she is just honoring where she works, but. . .I'm not even going to get started on my rant. . .not worth it.

Jack screamed for almost 30 minutes at the restaurant last night. . .had a screaming fit over night. . .today. . .I need ear plugs!

No comments: