Tuesday, December 7, 2010

is an experiment really worth the possible consequences?

So, I ended up calling the GI on-call Monday evening because Jackson has now projectile vomited 5 times since he started the new formula, Peptamen Jr., Sunday morning.
I was instructed to put Jackson back on Neocate Jr for the remainder of the evening, and also give Pedialyte, instead of water or apple juice, for the clear liquids from 2:45-6:45am.
The Dr. I spoke with last night, who happens to be one of the Drs we saw last Wednesday, remembered out visit! That makes me happy. She was going to email the attending with the problems Jack was having since the formula switch. I am supposed to keep Jackson on the Neocate Jr until I hear from GI. Ugh. The on-call Dr said that there's a possibility that Jackson's pancreas isn't used to working with a thick formula, or proteins, because he's been on all enzymes for such a long time. I asked her about the possibility of a milk protein intolerance, because the new formula is mainly Whey, a protein in cow's milk, and she said that chance was small because Jackson isn't a baby any more. We'll have to see about that.
I'm sitting in a waiting area right now, outside of the gift shop, while Jackson is in his MRI. The trip to St. Louis was uneventful this morning. Jackson cried, of course, when we entered the imaging holding room. He was fussy until the nurse gave him some drugs via the g-tube to calm him before the IV placement. THIS DRUG ROCKS! I told the nurses that I wanted some for home. Jack was all calm and loopy, enjoying the allergy bracelet he took off of his wrist, making some very silly sounds. The IV blew a vein the first time but the second attempt went right in. Jack barely fussed during either attempt. He wiggled a bit at each needle insertion but was a completely different child. Here's a picture of Jackson right before he went back to MRI.

I am praying that the anesthetics don't cause any problems and I can bring Jackson home later today. There is a bag in the van but I don't plan on getting it.
Cross your fingers.

No comments: