Thursday, October 28, 2010

2nd day, way not the same as the first!

9am. I take Jack into his classroom for his 2nd day of school. I must backtrack to Wednesday. Jack had a hard Wednesday. He vomited and coughed and gagged a ton. More and more snot! He had a horrible night as well. I lost count of how many times I was awake with Jack. He fussed and cried most of the night! Really, he also had a hard Thursday, and that doesn't even include school. He vomited and coughed and gagged a ton. And, he's been screaming in his bed, on and off, for 45 minutes! He sounds pitiful.

Ok. back to the 2nd day of school.

9am. I take Jack into his classroom. We walk through the door and right away Jack does his 'fuss/moan' to let me know that he isn't happy. There is a little boy and a Developmental Therapist working by the floor-level mirror. I take off his jacket and hang it up on a little hook (so cute). I sign Jack in and then sit him on the mat so he can 'chill'. Nope! Jack didn't want to chill. Jack wanted to cry. The DT picked Jack up and said 'Hello Jackson Waddell!" She took Jack over to some toys and picked one out for him. They sat on the floor, directly in front of me, and played. Jack fussed, cried, fussed, cried. He eventually calmed and played. A short while later the other Developmental Therapist came in with some more kids. They all took off their jackets and quickly sat on the floor and played. (I originally planned on leaving around 10am to have an hour-and-a-half of me time, but with Jack's fussiness and gagging, I needed to stay. The teachers appreciated that!).
Fast forward to 10:30am. Jack had fussed and played fairly well. The DT put Jack on his belly. He didn't do anything but scream and eventually flipped himself over.I ended up trying to hold Jack to calm him. Didn't really work. I opened up his 'emergency kit' and vented his belly. A TON of air came out! One would think that helped. Oh, did I tell you that there were 9 or 10 kids total today, and a couple of them were also fussy! It was loud and busy! The teachers decided that 'snack time' should come before 'circle time' because the kids were so fussy. Ha! This, I figured, was going to be a bad idea. I took Jack over to the Rifton chair, sat him down and strapped him in. He screamed a lot. I placed a t-shirt over his shirt. He screamed. The teacher placed some apple sauce on the table. I put Jack's hands in it. He screamed and put his apple sauce-covered hands in his hair. He then started to scream so hard that his tongue was sticking out, his eyes were rolling back and he was turning red. I cleaned Jack up, and took him out of the Rifton chair. It was time for Speech Therapy, anyways! Usually, speech therapy occurs in the classroom, but this was Jack's first time and the ST wanted Jack to focus. The Speech Therapist took Jack out of my arms and we left the classroom. As soon as we were in the hallway, Jack calmed down. He didn't even mind having someone else hold him.
Do you remember when Jack only wanted me?
Anyways, we were out of the classroom for a good 30 minutes. Jack did wonderful. The room we were in was nice and quiet. Jack played with toys and worked with the ST. He just needed some quiet time. He was overstimulated.
We all know, by now, that Jack doesn't do too well in busy, loud situations.
After speech therapy, Jack did the art project (his hand was painted with orange, white, and yellow paint and pressed on paper to make candy corn) and NO, he didn't like that. I left to pick Evelyn up from school and Jack was taken by the teachers.
When Evelyn and I returned, the class was having 'circle time'. Jack was in the Tumble Form and he was playing the drum! The kids sang songs and listened to books. They also pointed to pictures in the books. Jack was REALLY into this!

There he is! The teachers were talking about getting the Rifton Corner Chair back for Jack to sit in. The Tumble Form is really hot for Jack, and he doesn't need that much support, but the Rifton Chairs are too deep and the backs aren't tall enough (I wonder if the backs can be moved forward).
Here's the Rifton Corner floor sitter.

No comments: