Saturday, January 25, 2014

It only gets better from here

Another day is (almost) in the books.

Day three is going as well as expected. 

Jack has been awake all day! He got up in his wheelchair and we took a nice walk in the hallway. We visited the playroom and picked out a toy.


I've been trying to give Jack a bath all day but it has yet to happen. Between scheduled IV meds and feedings, there just hasn't been a chance. Also, whenever I ask the nurse, she acknowledges it but has yet to help me disconnect the IV and help me get Jack in and out of the tub. So... a sponge bath later it will most likely be.

Grandma visited today. Jack enjoyed spending most of the time on her lap!


He has also been playing with the iPad almost all day!
 
I was also delighted that Jack received balloons from his Aide! How thoughtful!

Jack started his formula this morning and has received it two more times. Each feed has gone very well. The hospital staff is confused with our feeding schedule...they are used to bread and butter. Jack is more like bread and mayo with cucumbers! There was talks of Jack being discharged today but at the current volume he is eating, he is getting less than half of his usual daily calorie intake (600). I told the staff that I'd like Jack at at least 1000 calories for a 24 hour period so I know he's getting enough fluids. He usually receives 1400. The last thing we need is Jack getting dehydrated again. If everything works out tonight, I might be able to get Jack's calories up to    1050 by the morning. Then I'll just need his coat and someone to help me get the van to the door to bring him home.

Here's to a smooth night and a trip home tomorrow!

No comments: