Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Happy Happy (belated) Birthday

Ok. I have to warn you. I started writing this post on January 4th, the day after Jack's 5th birthday. It's already January 21st! Ugh...I'm not going to rewrite the tiny paragraph I started. However, I am going to write in chronological order. Let me rephrase that. I'm going to attempt to write this in chronological order! I am also going to move quickly so I don't get delayed again...apologies ahead of time.

 (This is from 1/4/14)
Wow! Five years old! I tried not to get emotional but I caught myself looking at the clock and remembering the events from six years ago...contractions and bed rest for several weeks and then to the hospital several times for monitoring and then true labor that couldn't be stopped with medication and it was too late to be transferred to a different hospital to deliver and Jack came six weeks early via emergency c-section and then he was flown away to a NICU after I got to touch him briefly.  It all went crazy after that moment.

Happy Birthday!

(Present day!)
Yep! That's all I got done on that day! I just don't get much time to sit and write...
So...Jack is 5! It's crazy to look at him and believe that this tiny little boy will be entering Kindergarten in the fall...Then again...there are days when Jack is ALL BOY and ALL TROUBLE MAKER!

Here goes.

Jack's new wheelchair!
Jack's new wheelchair came the week before his birthday. What perfect timing! We took it for a spin at Menards and Jack was getting into so much trouble! It's only gotten better since the physical therapist has worked with him. He's moving faster. He goes backwards when he wants to go back to something. He's even turned a couple of times! We were at Menards and we were looking at something and I turned to look at Jack and he was two aisles away getting ready to pull stuff off of the shelves! It's like taking a toddler and letting her walk but she keeps getting into trouble!



This was a different shopping trip but we LOVE this picture!!!

I have no words...



The Harlem Globetrotters, made possible by the Starlight Children's Foundation
Through a large donation by Howard Johnson Hotels and the Starlight Children's Foundation, we were able to take Jack and Evelyn to see the Harlem Globetrotters! The game was exciting and Jack had a great time! He attempted to throw different items over the side rail and succeeded with his shoe! We purchased a basketball and were fortunate to be asked to take the court at the end of the game for signatures and pictures! Jack also got to meet a fellow CFC boy, Kyle.
Not quite sure about the game! It's LOUD!

A little more comfortable...

This is Kyle, age 12.

The players signed the ball!

This guy was over 7ft tall!

Waiting to enter the court

The MC gave Jack his wrist band

Other things going on
Jack was having some nasty side effects with the seizure medicine. The way I explained it to the Neurologist: his anger is BOLD and he gets very tired about 3 hours after I give him the Keppra. Jack was also having little seizures more and more as the medicine continued. The doctor decided to switch Jack to a different medication called Trileptal. We weaned Jack off of the Keppra and onto the Trileptal over a week. It's been 2 weeks since the official switch and we've only had one seizure. Here's to hoping for 0! We've also had no side effects. Cross your fingers.

Jack has had a cold since Friday and has vomited twice today. The second time was directly after I started his night feed. A runny nose always upsets his belly. Of course, I'm now on high alert. The last thing I want to do is have to get Jack an admit for IV fluids while his belly rests. No food tonight. No school tomorrow. Luckily, we see the pediatrician in the afternoon. Speaking of, I really like her! I think Jack does as well. He talks about her all the time. Notice how I'm not going to over analyze this illness...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Starlight staff were inspired by your post and the beautiful photos of your family. We would love to highlight your story as part of our Thursday #StarlightStories. Could you email me at starry@starlight.org