Friday, June 17, 2011

Recovery day 4

Well, after the setback last night, today went much better. Jackson started his Pedialyte over at 9am. 5ml/hr for 6 hours. He made it to 10ml/hr for 6 hours. He is now on 15ml/hr. At 3am he will be on 20ml/hr. So, according to the PEDS Dr. I spoke with today, Jackson should start his formula 3am Sunday morning he should start his formula, but I personally hope they will wait until like 6 or 7am to start the formula so he can get a break with his belly. Of course, just like before. . . if Jackson vomits we will have to take a break and start over. However, I can say with a very serious face, like you can see me right now!, Jackson has passed gas 5 times today! This is a good thing. This means that his intestines are waking up. We will know the ileus is gone for good (notice how I spelled ileus correctly) once Jack poops. Yep...I am once again talking about poop and all disgusting things.

Jackson has been uncomfortable most of the day, especially since 2pm. The nurses suggested I take him for a walk since he was awake most of the afternoon. We got a gown on him (he's been laying around in only a diaper), unplugged the IV pump and Enteral pump-the one feeding Jack the Pedialyte, unhooked the Pulse Oximeter from the monitor, and placed Jack in his KidKart. As soon as I entered the hallway his head perked up. I told him we were going to go for a walk and signed "walking". Soon after we started walking the hall (KidKart with Jack in one hand and the IV pole in the other) Jack started saying "wawa wawa" which translates to "walk walk" and I of course sang the "walking walking" song. If you feel the need to know the song, it is to the melody of frere jacques:
Walking Walking Walking Walking
Down the hall. Down the hall.
Walking Walking Walking
Walking Walking Walking
Down the hall. Down the hall.

Yes, it really is that simple and Jackson and the other kids at his school love it!
We also went into the playroom, which is wonderful. I sat Jackson's chair in front of a shelf with baby toys. He pointed at the toys, with the hand that isn't covered from the IV. However, I would place a toy that he pointed to in front of him and he didn't seem to want to do much. Maybe push a button once, but that was it. He did continue to point to different toys. This is when I discovered that he was pointing to toys that we have at home!

After the playroom I took Jackson out to the meditation garden. This is right outside my window, which is just lovely because there are chimes galore, in all different pitches, blowing softly in the wind. There is a pond, beautiful flowers and shrubs, a water feature, and a super cool log cabin for the kids. During our time outside Jackson was saying "weeeeee". He liked it!


No comments: