Thursday, January 31, 2013

1st centile schmentile!

Today, I took Jackson to his 9 month Endocrinologist appointment. During the trip to St. Louis Children's Hospital Jackson told me about the different objects in a doctor's office: basket. ear test. heart test. kleenex box. He also watched his usual Spongebob Squarepants DVDs and played with many toys that all ended up on the floor. There was even a delightful yelling-random-words-at-the-top-of-his-lungs moment!

The results:
  • Jack is still in the 1st Centile. I'm surprised he isn't a 0! I guess it can't go any lower than that. He hasn't shrunk! He hasn't really grown at all. He's gained 3lbs since his last visit. He lost about a pound-and-a half during his admit at DMH.
  • Because of his very tiny stature, Jack had another bone age test. It's just an x-ray of the left hand that helps the doctor determine if Jack is still growing, how much growing he has to do, and what size he compares to right now. He was P.I.S.S.E.D.!!! It took three people to hold him down AND he was in his wheelchair!
  • We discussed his osteopenia and the need for continued therapies to work on bone regrowth. If he breaks a bone I am to call endo immediately. He is at risk of broken bones because of this.
  • We discussed his risk of precocious puberty. We don't see any signs are I'm not too concerned about that right now.
  • We discussed testing his thyroid. The Attending decided that isn't needed at the moment. Yippe! No labs drawn!
  • We discussed his igf-1 deficiency. Replacement therapy is similar to growth hormone replacement therapy. It's a shot. The drug is called Increlex. Jason and I still don't know if we want to do this yet 1) Jack doesn't walk yet. We would like to wait until he's walking because the bigger he gets, the heavier he gets. I don't want to be carrying around a 50lb child. 2) He's been in such good spirits, most of the time. Do we really want to give him 2-3 shots a day, plus check his blood sugar 2-3 times a day? I think I need to discuss this with CFC International and the CFC Medical Advisory Board. I understand that his growth is important. I just don't know what to do.


No comments: