Tuesday, October 4, 2011

It's Been a Long Day

Hi.
I'm writing again. I know. I just wrote a few days ago. Well, Jack had another appointment.
Jack and I traveled to St. Louis Children's Hospital on Monday. We were there a LONG time. The appointment was for the Endocrinologist, but Jack needed x-rays before and labs after the appointment.

The Endocrinologist is the doctor who prescribed the Growth Hormone for Jackson. The Growth Hormone is the shot we have been giving Jackson 6 nights a week for the last 10 months. "Ouch!"

Jackson had a lumbar x-ray and a bone age test on his hand. The Endocrinologist wanted to see if Jack's past reports that stated his bones were thin was correct. Well...they are. I don't really understand this at all, but Jack is 2 years 9 months. His bone age is 1 year 6 months. So...this means? I don't know. The doctor told me that Jack has osteopenia. He is deficient in Vitamin D and Calcium. Duh! We knew this which is why we are supplementing. His bones are at a higher risk for breaking. The way to improve his bones? Weight Bearing! And...we are already working on that! If he stands more and eventually walks, his bones will be better. From the research that I've been trying to do, which has been very unsuccessful so far, and that makes me very frustrated...I've got nothing.

It makes sense to me that Jack's bone age is 1 year 6 months. He's so tiny. There are kids more than a year younger than him and they are the same size as Jack. I think it might just be part of his syndrome.

The labs drawn were to check for anything that might have been missed. They are double checking the IGF-1 (insulin-based growth factor-1). In the past, this number has been nonexistent. The Endo doctor is also checking Calcium, Vitamin D, Magnesium, Phosphorous, and Potassium. wants to make sure his size doesn't have to do with his thyroid.

No comments: