Thursday, September 1, 2011

I'm a baaaaaaaad mama.

So...today Jackson was supposed to have his pre-op appointment with his pediatrician. We have decided to go ahead with the eye muscle surgery. It is scheduled for 9/15/11. The appointment was scheduled for 11am. Jackson attends the BabyTALK STEPs program from 9am-12pm. I arrived to pick him up at 10:35am and he was sitting at the table getting ready to eat snack. We had about 10 minutes before we had to leave, so I figured he could stay for a short while longer. I ended up staying until 12pm, calling and rescheduling the appointment for another time.
Well...it started with Jack's Developmental Therapist giving me a bucket of torn up construction paper. Jack tore the paper up himself! This is a HUGE deal because I can't open the mail! Jack cries and then screams, holding his head. He acts as if the sound of ripping paper is painful (although yesterday I was able to open the mail and he didn't seem to care...at all!). The DT said she sat next to Jack ripping the blue construction paper. He got VERY angry, grabbing the paper and throwing it, while of course yelling. She would grab another piece of paper and begin again. He continued to grab the paper, and out of anger to a piece in half. The DT gave him another piece. He tore it again. And another. And another. And another. The DT said that he was ripping the paper while completely pissed off. But...Jack tore paper!
So, back to why I had to cancel the pre-op appointment. It was 10:35am and Jackson was getting his white t-shirt on for snack. He was given a small bowl of strawberry yogurt with a plastic baby spoon. At first he stuck is thumb in the bowl and then tasted the yogurt. This whole time I'm expecting the bowl to be dumped over, the spoon to be thrown, and the yogurt to get rubbed all over the table and in Jackson's hair. Nope. There's more! Jackson licked the handle of the spoon. The DT showed Jack how to lick from the bowl part of the spoon. She dipped the handle in the spoon. Jackson licked the handle again. Jack licked the bowl of the spoon. The spoon went in his mouth. He dipped the spoon on the yogurt. The spoon went in his mouth again. I am sitting on a plastic Educube with my hands over my mouth and tears in my eyes. He continued to lick yogurt from the spoon! He was given a slice of banana. He put the banana in the bowl. The DT cut up the banana and scooped a piece up with the yogurt. Jack licked the banana. By this time it's 10:40am and all I can think is, "Why would I take Jack away from this when he is doing so well?" I called and rescheduled the appointment. Jack was given some small, rectangular graham crackers, some mini Ritz crackers, and some Gerber puffs. Jack is licking each snack. He is dipping the graham crackers in the yogurt and licking the yogurt off. He is licking the salt off the Ritz crackers. Wow!
I watched Jack and the other kids get their hands painted for an art project. I watched Jack in the Gross Motor room. He was in the Standing Frame again. He asked to go in it, had a great time in it, and got mad when taken out. And...I messed up his routine. Supposedly, he always goes to the swing directly after the stander. Whoops! He calmed down as soon as I figured that out!

Well, that is all...although it isn't as simple as that. it's a BIG deal!

No comments: