Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Good Decision

so. . .I've been waiting, and waiting, and waiting. . .and I've finally given up. I've been waiting for a date for Jackson's two surgeries, but, well. . .you get it. . .I'm still waiting for the dates. . .
Jackson had his eye appointment on Friday. This appointment was the follow-up to look at Jackson's right eye muscle. The result was what we all thought: Jackson needs surgery on his right eye muscle. There is some talk that has to been done with the orthoptist (Dr. Giribaldi, we saw him on Friday), the director of opthamology (Dr. Tychsen, the surgeon that performed Jackson's tear duct probe in Dec. 2009 and can work on Jack in September), and the Attending (Dr. Leider, the surgeon who can work on Jack in May). Once a surgeon works on a patient, he/she usually performs any future surgeries. We need permission for Dr. Leider to work on Jack. I'm hoping for a call with a date Wednesday afternoon.
Once I receive this phone call, I can call the ENT (Dr. Ettema) and schedule the adnoidectomy and tonsilectomy. Of course, there needs to be ample time between surgeries because they are at different hospitals. The eye surgery has a very quick recovery and the ENT surgery can take 3-4 weeks recovery.

And. . .we get to work in a sedated Echo!!! Yippee!!! Yes, I'm being sarcastic, as usual. Jackson went for his echo and, as usual, gave a very entertaining performance, making the echo near impossible for some necessary images. The cardiologist ended up with the probe and at one point, finally decided that it wasn't working. Here comes my vent: I REQUESTED GIVING JACKSON A CALMING DRUG, VERSED, BEFORE THE ECHO SO HE WOULDN'T BE SO STRESSED. THE CARDIOLOGIST DOESN'T LIKE TO DRUG THE KIDS AND SAID HE'D GET IMAGED HIMSELF IF NEEDED. I'VE ASKED FOR SEDATED ECHOS IN THE PAST. AFTER 8 ECHOS, FINALLY. . .ugh! The plan is to have the sedated echo performed during one of the surgeries. If neither surgery happens by the end of May, we'll have to schedule the sedated echo separate.

And, to end on a good note: Jackson had feeding therapy Monday afternoon. Evelyn was eating Oreo cookies and I figured, "what the heck, might as well give Jack one". Good decision. Here are some pictures from today (Tuesday)!


No comments: