Friday, February 25, 2011

the follow-up

So I took Jack to the pediatrician Thursday afternoon. The appointment was a follow-up from when Jackson was diagnosed with a double ear infection.

Ugh...

Let's start with Jack's weight. in January, Jack weighed in at 19lb 12oz. 11 days ago Jack weighed in at 19lb 6oz. Yesterday, Jack weighed in at 19lb 2oz. WHAT?!!!
I knew he was looking thinner, but my gosh. It probably doesn't help that he's been vomiting quite often. We also have to consider that Jack was getting 120 kcal/kg up until December and then was dropped down to 105 kcal/kg because his weight was still going up. Well. . .not anymore. One goal is to increase Jackson's feeds to a total of 120 kcal/kg again.Today will be the first official day of this attempt. No more feeding Jackson a short bolus over 30 minutes with the pump, four times a day. Now we're starting at a bolus over 1 hour with the pump, four times a day, plus the 8 hour feed over night. Jack can tolerate the hour long feeds so far. I'd like to get him back to a 30 minutes schedule. Maybe I can work towards that. My biggest fear is that I'm going to rush to much and try to feed Jackson to much formula too fast. I also am not a fan of waking up to the pump around 4am, every morning, just to turn it off. Jackson has been sleeping much better, which means I have been sleeping much better.  :(

Jackson's ears: his right eardrum ruptured. There was dried blood in his ear canal. This explains the crusty stuff I found in his ear around the beginning of the week. Jack's left ear is still infected. The poor guy had to get two shots of Rocephin and must start another 10 days of the Cefdiner today. We go back on March 8th to see if everything cleared up.

I'm still concerned because Jack isn't acting any different with ear infections. . .what bothers him so much?

No comments: